Saturday, October 29, 2016

//Zinefest meets Matchbox - Queer my Zine with InsideOUT//

Wellington Zinefest is hosting a rad workshop series at Matchbox Studios over October/November, leading up to Wellington Zinefest on November 19th! 

This week we're teaming up with InsideOUT, a national organisation that works to make Aotearoa a safer place for young people of minority genders and sexualities. We've interviewed the artists that will be speaking at the event about their work and what they're passionate about. 

Laura Duffy




  • Tell us a few things you are passionate about?
I am passionate about how much I love the ocean. I also really like human beings and art. 
  • How did you get into zine making?
I took Bryce Galloway’s zine making paper at Massey during my BFA. After that I’ve dabbled here and there but the main aspects of my practice surround video http://www.circuit.org.nz/artist/laura-duffy and photographic work, as well as sculpture. www.lauraduffy.info 
  • What kind of zines do you make?
In the past I’ve made e-zines. Which is a fun way to digitally play with presentation of images with textual elements.
I also had a mini series on the ridiculous and hilarious letters my nana sends me in the mail, she’s real crack up. I made a mini series about my dreams! 

  • When/ why/ how did you get involved with InsideOUT?
I got involved with InsideOUT around Feb'16. I love the work InsideOUT does, I think its extremely important. I wanted to be involved and support it! 

  • Any good zine recommendations?
Aether Magazine is pretty cool, they’re an international self published publication which is based in London. They’ve featured my work a couple of times, it’s super fun working alongside other emerging artists around the place. I am really excited because my girl Glossy is doing an interview in the next issue!

Working collectively across the globe using the Internet is a beautiful thing lol.

I also haven’t seen it IRL yet but the Bunny Collective's publication Bunny looks pretty sick! The content is submitted by international artists surrounding ideas of emotional labour. 
  • Got any plugs? Plug them now.
I’m in a show called Angelwave which opens 11th  of November, at Play_Station which is at 8 Egmont St. http://playstationspace.com/ 
The concepts for the show surround binary categorization in relation to the way we think and process the world and the people in it, relating to the ultimate binary of heaven and hell, with a heavy Internet aesthetic. I’m working with Maddy Plimmer, Sean Burn, Dilohana Lekamge, Annalise Enoka, Isaac Dalkie and Kerry Males. Come check it out, it’s gunna be freaky and great! 

  • Most importantly, if you were a dog what kind of dog would you be?

The internet reckons I'd be a Boston Terrier but I just want to be a newborn. 

//

Vee





  • Tell us a few things you are passionate about?

i'm passionate about many different things. i am currently having a lot of feelings about the lack of mental health care available in Aotearoa for our rangatahi (young people), especially indigenous, transgender, intersex, queer, and the homeless. i am passionate about better access to health services for all people, and this is apparent in a lot of my most recent art. i am also passionate about never using capitals when i type, and about selfies as art.
  • How did you get into zine making?
i have always been quite crafty (although i would never have considered it art back then!) so my first attempts at zine making would have been single page collages. i think the first one was about access to reproductive healthcare in Aotearoa. my first ~official~ zine was created on my birthday at an event that rainbow youth put on in Auckland, around 3 years ago.
  • What kind of zines do you make?
my first zine was about one direction and cats. my other (currently unfinished) zines are predominantly about mental health and suicidality, as well as love and sex. they feature a lot of poetry and prose. it seems very therapeutic for me, i guess.
  • When/ why/ how did you get involved with InsideOUT?
my very first time volunteering with insideout was at a hui for young gender and sexual minorities, called patchwerq. that was back in 2013. i have been involved in more hui since then because i feel that it is becoming increasingly important to have safe spaces for young people to come to. it is something i wish i had when i was at high school.
  • Any good zine recommendations?
my favourite zines tend to end up being ones that are illustration heavy. one of my fav collections is 'imaginary lovers' by devon anna smith. i am 10000% sure i feature in issue three!! i believe it is important to support local artists, so i often end up purchasing zines from them as i don't have enough money to buy prints of their art. it's also a fun way to end up with a large collection of tiny artworks!
  • Most importantly, if you were a dog what kind of dog would you be?
if i was a dog i reckon i'd probs be an afghan hound - it takes a lot of time to groom me, and i like to be left alone.

//

Nathaniel Gordon-Stables



  • Tell us a few things you are passionate about? 

Queers, Poppa Jacks chips & Gordon Ramsay's Nightmare Kitchen.

  • How did you get into zine making?

I got into zine making through Bryce Galloway and hearing about the zine scene through Wellington Zinefest.

  • What kind of zines do you make?

My last zine was called the 'Brown boy chronicals' which involved stories of racism that myself and friends have endured. From Halloween scares to family "no politics at the table" dinners.

  • When/ why/ how did you get involved with InsideOUT?

I got involved with InsideOUT straight out of high school. As far as I can remember I always wanted to give back to the community that helped me when I needed it most.

  • Any good zine recommendations?

Never Masturbate in the Morning by Triangle Face Girl has always been a fave for me. Even though I myself, probably wouldn't listen to the title's advice, the stories inside great.

  • Most importantly, if you were a dog what kind of dog would you be?

Oh yo, I would definitely be a great sheep dog or a lax sausage dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment